10 Reasons to see Las Isletas on a Stand Up Paddle Board
1. Easy— The flat waters between the islands in Las Isletas, Granada are a perfect place to learn to SUP than trying to surf or paddle in the ocean. This sport does not require a lot of body strength or extensive training. Most people who try it for their first time are surprised at how easy it really is.
2. Fun!— People who love the water or for those who want an enjoyable workout, this activity is ideal!
3. Total Body Workout— The entire time you are paddling you engage your abs, arms, legs and all the muscles of the back and shoulders. Even more, all of the stabilizing muscles in your legs and hips are working to balance you on the board, making for a total body experience.
4. A Social Experience— Standup paddling is a fun experience to be shared with family and friends. Because SUP is easy and anyone can learn it, once you do, you will find it effortless. You can chat and socialize as you enjoy the islands.
5. A Fast Growing Sport— Standup paddling is the fastest growing water sport in the world right now and it’s no surprise. Because it is so easy and people are loving it, SUP businesses are popping up all around the globe, offering lessons, rentals and sales everywhere there is a body of water conducive to the sport. Try it out in Lake Nicaragua!
6. A great way to get you close to nature— Nicaragua is known as the land of lakes and volcanoes and Las Isletas is an incredible blend of both. When Volcano Mombacho blew its crown off thousands of years ago, it spewed large amounts of volcanic earth into Lake Nicaragua, creating these 365+ islands. As you paddle past these islands, you are entirely surrounded by nature.
7. Better for the Environment— While Las Isletas is one of the main tourist attractions in Granada, most visitors see the lush islands from a loud, motorized boat. The boats are powered by gas and unnecessarily pollute the fresh waters of Lake Nicaragua. On a SUP board, you quietly glide over the water, listen to the birds, and occasionally hear the howler monkeys in the distance without disturbing any of the natural habitat.
8. A Superior Way to See the Islands— Rather than touring Las Isletas sitting on a kayak or riding in a boat, when you are standing on a paddle board you get to see so much more. You can take your time soaking in the islands and maybe even reach for a mango hanging down from the trees dripping with fruit or feed a monkey.
9. Calming to the Mind and Soul— As you get into the rhythm of paddling, the movement becomes meditative, and you start to feel the sensation of floating over the water. The stresses of life evaporate, and you find your self in the here and now.
10. Versatile— Not only can you SUP on the flat waters surrounding the islands, but you can also use the board as a floating yoga mat. Practicing yoga on the paddle board requires a whole new level of awareness and mixes up your regular yoga or SUP routine.